The difference between Sit and Set.
SIT: To rest with the body supported from the waist down.
SET: To put or place in a certain location or position.
The easiest way to remember this basic difference is that you sit
yourself down, but you set something else (an object) down.
Example: I will sit here on this bench and I will set my books beside me.
Look at the Sit and Set examples that follow:
|SIT – to have the weight of one’s body supported by the buttocks, not the feet.|
|He sits in the same chair each day.|
|He sat in that chair yesterday.|
|He has been sitting in the chair for a long time.|
|He was sitting there the last time I saw him.|
|SET – to put, lay, or stand something (an object) in a specified place or position.|
|She sets her books on her desk at school.|
|She set her books on that desk yesterday.|
|She has set her books on the desk 200 times.|
|She still sets her books on the desk even now.|
- SIT is an action that means resting in one place. I sit. You are sitting. They sat. We were sitting. These sentences are complete. Words can be added to say where, when, how or why the person is sitting, but they are not needed to form a complete sentence.
- SET is an action that is done to something else. She is setting the table. He set the alarm clock last night. They set the shopping down in the kitchen. I set the suitcase on the floor. These sentences need an object to complete them.
NOTE – There are a couple of exceptions:
- At nightfall (dusk) we say: “The sun is setting.”
- When concrete, glue, sauces or other substances harden, we say, “The glue has set.”
- In these special cases, SET acts like SIT and doesn’t take an object.
PRESENT PAST FUTURE Simple I sit I sat I will sit Continuous I am sitting I was sitting I will be sitting Perfect I have sat I had sat I will have sat Perfect Continuous I have been sitting I had been sitting I will have been sitting Conditional I would sit I would have sat Conditional Continuous I would be sitting I would have been sitting
PRESENT PAST FUTURE Simple I set I set I will set Continuous I am setting I was setting I will be setting Perfect I have set I had set I will have set Perfect Continuous I have been setting I had been setting I will have been setting Conditional I would set I would have set Conditional Continuous I would be setting I would have been setting