What facts should I review about English?
- Fact 1: English is spoken as a FIRST language by about 400 million people in the world, and as a second language (ESL) by another 400 million.
- Fact 2: The number of people who are learning English as a second language is becoming greater than the number who speak it as a first language.
- Fact 3: One out of every four people in the world are thought to speak some English and over 750 million people are believed to speak it as a foreign language (EFL).
So, we can estimate that to date (2015) there are over 1.5 billion speakers of English globally.
- Fact 4: It is the main language of books, newspapers, airports and air-traffic control, shipping, international business and academic conferences, science, technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising.
- Fact 5: Over two-thirds of the world’s scientists read in English.
- Fact 6: Three quarters of the world’s mail is written in English.
- Fact 7: Eighty per cent of the world’s electronically stored information is in English.
- Fact 8: Of the estimated 200 million users of the Internet, some thirty-six per cent communicate in English.
- Fact 9: Around 700,000 people come to the U.K. to study the language each year.
- Fact 10: English has official or special status in at least seventy-five countries around the world and is spoken as a first language in many of these, namely: the U.K., the U.S.A. and Canada, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, India, and many, many more. (Countries where it is the Official Language.)
To receive FREE Grammar Tips by email:
- First register / sign up at the top of the page (in the sidebar).
- Just fill out your name, email address and country in the pop-up box.
- I promise not to spam you every day, nor will I give out your email address.