Read English books to help you learn.
Reading in English improves grammar. It won’t teach the Rules of Grammar, but it does improve fluency. Mainly because the style of the sentences becomes fixed in the students’ mind. Short stories are very good and there are hundreds of them on the web.
Read English Short Stories for Adult Students – Beginners Level Book 1
Read English Short Stories for Adult Students – Beginners Level Book 2
Read English Short Stories for Adult Students – Beginners Level Book 3
Read English Short Stories for Adult Students – Beginners Level Book 4
These ESL Printables are courtesy of Christina Niven 2010 and ESL Civics for ESL students.
Begin with something easy.
If it isn’t easy, it won’t enjoyable and then it won’t encourage practice.
- Don’t stop to use a dictionary every time you see a word that you don’t understand. You will get bored. Just keep reading till the end of the page and try to understand the meaning by guessing at the words you don’t know. This is a lot of fun !!!
- It is important to like what you are reading. Decide on a subject that interests you and find articles about that subject on the internet. If you enjoy reading about it, then it will be easy…
- Find a book that you have read and enjoyed in your own language. Then look for the same book in English. If you already know the story, it will make it easier to follow.
- Read magazines that have lots of pictures – you can see what the words mean and you will recognize these same words on other pages.
Students may find it hard to read a newspaper until they reach Intermediate or Upper Intermediate level. Newspapers have a way of writing which can be difficult to understand if one is not a native speaker. Newspapers often write sentences that either have two different meanings, or they may leave some words out of a sentence in order to make it more impressive.
Also they may suggest something without actually putting it into words and one must guess what they mean. This is called ‘reading between the lines’ and can be hard, but it is a great challenge for a language learner !!!
To receive FREE Grammar Tips by email:
- First register / sign up at the top of the page (in the sidebar).
- Just fill out your name, email address and country in the pop-up box.
- I promise not to spam you every day, nor will I give out your email address.