What absolute beginners should know…
A0 – Beginners English Grammar to cover:
- The subject pronouns: I, you, he, she and so on.
- Demonstrative pronouns: this, that, these, those.
- Question words: what, who, where and how.
- Possessive adjectives: my, your, his and hers.
- Singular and plural nouns.
- Exclamations !
- Here is, there are.
- The verb TO BE, positive, negative and interrogative.
A0 – Beginners Vocabulary should include:
- The alphabet.Numbers 1 to 100.
- Jobs: doctor, teacher, taxi driver.
- Countries and nationalities: ‘He is from the UK. He’s British.’
- Basic food: fruit, vegetables, meat.
- Days of the week.
- Everyday objects: bag, pen, telephone.
- Immediate family: mother, son, husband.
- Rooms in the house: living room, bathroom, kitchen.
TIP: Use our easy to understand lessons.
Just go to our lessons page, to get these FREE…
|A0.01 – Phonetics and Greetings||A0.02 – Alphabet and Colours|
|A0.03 – Titles and Numbers.||A0.04 – Days, Months, Weather.|
|A0.05 – Parts of Speech.||A0.06 – Subject Pronouns. The Verb ‘To Be’.|
|A0.07 – Vocabulary Family Members.||A0.08 – Auxiliary Verbs.|
|A0.09 – Vocabulary Eating.||A0.10 – Articles and Demonstrative Adjectives.|
|A0.11 – Vocabulary Household.||A0.12 – Interrogatives (Questions).|
Ideas to give to your Beginner students…
Beginners English Step 1
A great idea for learning vocabulary is to put Post-It notes on the furniture around the house, with the names of each item in English. Stop and repeat the names often.
Beginners English Step 2
Every day choose a word or short phrase and write it on a small card which you will carry with you. Read and repeat it to yourself often during the day.
Beginners English Step 3
Pay particular attention every time you hear a song on the radio, or a dialogue on the television in English. You won’t understand them at first, but you will get an idea of what the language sounds like.
Beginners English Step 4
Go to our Pronunciation page and check out links to sites that give both English and American pronunciation for each word that you type in. Practise one or two words every day. Pronunciation is extremely important and you should learn it now, at the very start. If you begin with bad pronunciation, you will never lose it.
Beginners English Step 5
Sign up for the FREE lessons on the Lessons page and pay particular attention to the lesson on Phonetics. Learning Phonetics now can be very useful to you later. English is not pronounced or written the way it is spelt, and Phonetics are a good way of writing a word the way that it sounds to you.
To receive FREE Grammar Tips by email:
- First register / sign up at the top of the page (in the sidebar).
- Just fill out your name and email address and country in the pop-up box.
- I promise not to spam you every day, nor will I give out your email address.